Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

I totally got a wild hair and wanted some Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. This is my SIL's fault really, shes the one that took me to Penzey's where I saw poppyseeds and its all downhill from there.

The problem? I've never made them before and so I had to go on a search for a recipe. There are no shortages of recipes for these things so I combined a few of them and came up with this one. I'm gonna write this here so I don't forget what I did cuz my boys ate every last molecule of the ones I made today and asked "Is there more?" LOL

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins


2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs poppyseeds
2 tsp lemon zest~ or more if you like more lemony taste. (I used two mediumish sized lemons)

What is "lemon zest" Melissa? I'm glad you asked....its that bright yellow outside of the lemon. Get you a grater (or if you're really fancy...grab your microplane) and use the smallest holes and just grate the bright yellow outside part of the lemon. You dont want the white under the bright yellow. Just the bright yellow.

Mix all that stuff up in one bowl and set it aside, you should have something that looks like this......



......and then, grab your measuring cup and put all this next stuff in and mix it right there in the measuring cup. (less dishes)

Measure 1/2 cup buttermilk and add....
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup of canola or veggie oil
1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla extract

"Well I dont have any buttermilk Melissa." you say.....well if you have milk and vinegar or lemon juice...yes you do.
Get you one cup of milk and add one tbs of white vinegar or lemon juice and let it set for 5 mins. Voila...buttermilk substitute.
Or....
Here are some other buttermilk substitutions I found over at Good Life Eats:  Kitchen Tip: Homemade Buttermilk Substitute

Anyway...after you've mixed all this stuff up, you should have 1 1/2 cups of stuff, and look like this.....


Then you take your dry mixture and your wet mixture and mix them together...


Don't get crazy with the stirring, you want some lumps.

Then put your mixture in your prepared muffin pan. You can use papers but I didn't. I made some big ones and some bite sized ones. 

In case yall didnt know...just a little tip, if you use a ice cream scoop, you will fill them evenly and neatly. 

Bake these in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 mins...start checking for doneness after about 15mins. 

While those are baking, take your lemons you zested earlier, and cut them open and squeeze 2-3 tbs of juice and mix the juice in one cup of powdered sugar. (while your waiting check out my post on sugars)  

When they come out of the oven, take them out of the pan and drizzle your glaze over them.


YUMMMMM! I would love it if you guys had any variations you would like to share! And would love it if yall make these you come back and let me know how it went! 

ENJOY!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment